Plan a Space For Outdoor Entertainment Fun
From outdoor kitchens to gazebos and living rooms, homeowners are turning their outdoor spaces into useful, added square footage. According to the New York Times, investing in these types of improvements has shown to increase a home’s sales price by more than 2%. With a hot real estate market, these features can also help attract potential buyers and sell your house more quickly.
Here are some planning tips if you’re considering adding an outdoor entertainment area to your home in Westchester County, NY.
Uses for the Space
When planning your outdoor entertainment area, the first thing to consider is how you will use the space. Deciding this will help you determine the features you will want to include. For instance, do you want to host outdoor dinner parties? If so, investing in a kitchen feature and a large table with chairs would be something to consider. Do you like to host sports or movie watching parties? If yes, a large video monitor with anti-glare technology is a must. Would you like your outdoor space to be a relaxing oasis for reading or visiting with friends? Then, you may want tranquil sounds from a fountain or an outdoor speaker system to play peaceful background music.
Address Challenges of the Space
Of course, not every backyard was designed for an outdoor living area. As a result, there may be challenges to consider and address before starting your project. Here are some potential challenges to consider:
- Sun exposure – how does the sun play with your outdoor space? If there are times of the day where it can interfere with the use, consider outdoor shades to help protect your guests from the sun.
- Areas of darkness – if darkness is a challenge, consider investing in an outdoor lighting system.
- Neighbors – you may need a privacy fence if neighbors are too close to your entertainment area. It’s also nice to have a wall to help reduce noise levels.
- Traffic flow – will you have enough walkway space? Designing your outdoor area at scale is necessary to ensure you have enough room to walk around or entertain visitors comfortably.
- Utilities – depending on the features of your space, you may need to invest in utility installations, such as gas lines, electric, water, or sewer. Consider this before you begin work so that installation won’t disturb landscaping.
Consider Professional Design
To gain the most value from your outdoor entertainment area, invest in a professional designer to assist you with measuring the layout and scale of your project. Professionals like our team at Digital Home Systems can also recommend the best AV and lighting products to withstand the elements in your outdoor space. Contact us to schedule a consultation so you can begin enjoying the fun of your outdoor entertainment area in Westchester County, NY.